Monday, November 14, 2011

Free Writing Day #1

Have you noticed lately that:
  • drivers no longer use their turn signals to let people behind them know which way they intend to go? It's like the new generation of drivers think the turn signal is optional because, since the world revolves around them, we should all instinctively know which way they are going to go. Really? I don't mean to sound so crotchety, but these are the folks that cause the accidents that back up traffic and make us all late for work - again... Sigh...
  • that a lot parents ask their children what they want to do rather than telling them? What??? That is so not how it was for me growing up. I got told, I most certainly did NOT do the telling. It was crystal clear that I was the child not the parent. My mom and dad didn't care a lick about being our friends - they had friends. Their job was to raise me and steer me in the right direction and the friendship would come later... what a concept...
  • the more connected we are [email, texting, IMing, Skype, mobile banking] the less connected we really are? When's the last time you walked in to your local bank and had a conversation with the teller who processed your transaction? I used to laugh at my mom about that, but when I went to deposit her check once when she broke her leg, the tellers all knew her and wanted to know who I was and what the heck I was doing with her check! Think about it...
  • that the things "old" people used to tell you when you were growing up, the things that seemed so random  and irrelevant then, suddenly make perfect sense? Come to find out they actually knew what they were talking about! Makes me wish I'd paid closer attention... The scary part is, now I'm the old person telling my nieces and nephews things as they stare blankly convinced I must be from another planet... payback I suppose! 
My time is up for today, but those are a few things I've noticed lately and I'm wondering if it's just me. I did minimal editing and it was actually fun! 47 more days to go! Make it a memorable Monday all!

2 comments:

  1. Interesting thoughts. The blinker thing is a pet peeve but I also notice older people doing it too. I personally thing it's just a matter of laziness (and okay...selfishness which is my opinon) We all LEARN it but most don't do it. I also can't stand when people ride in the left lane on the highway...there are SIGNS telling you not too. Sigh.

    ILH!

    And...I adore your blog design it's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Crit for the comment and the compliment - and thanks to K for the fab blog design! <3

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit my page. I absolutely adore hearing from you. Hope to see you again soon!

Yours in Writing,
Isunji