Sunday, November 13, 2011

Observation vs. Participation

I have spent the better part of 2011 trying to figure out why I haven't been writing like I once did. The discipline of physically sitting down and writing a simple blog post or journal entry remained elusive over the past 316 days.

I found this strange because so much has happened this year. I also find it strange because my love and passion for writing has not waned... So what gives?

After thinking on this issue for a bit, I came up with a few reasons and more important a few solutions so that 2012 [and the rest of 2011 for that matter] does not become more of the same. So here goes:
  • I have fallen into a pattern of observing vs. participating in life. Odd considering our life experiences provide the fodder for our writing. No wonder I didn't feel like I had anything to say! The Solution? I am forcing myself to get up off the couch more and become a active participant in my own life. Not soley for writing purposes but who wants to play an extra in their own life??? I'm starting by FINALLY attending a local writing group. They have been sending me evites for nearly 2 years - this will be my first time attending... sad I know.
  • I am too much of a perfectionist. If I don't think what I am about to write is going to be pulitzer worthy, then I don't bother to write... How dumb is that??? I'm glad the guy who penned Grandma Got Run Over By A Reindeer didn't think like that! The Solution? Stop taking myself, my writing, so seriously and just let whatever comes out, come out! I'm going to start by free writing everyday - no self editing, no trying to "make it make sense" just writing. I'm excited to see what will come of it!
  •  I stopped reading. I was once an avid reader. If I had a question or wanted to know something, I'd read up on it. If I wanted to lose myself in a good story, I'd read. Then I went back to school as an English major and all I did was read... assigned reading. When I took a break from school I decided to just "veg" for a while.... Sadly I never stopped. The Solution? I've downloaded several books on my nook and I plan to take some time every day to just read. Reading is inspirational and motivational. I've often heard that good writers are readers, and I believe that.
So, it's day 317 and while I'd love to hang out here, I've got places to go and people to see and stories to tell! Happy Sunday all!

1 comment:

  1. This has been my year to stop observing and start participating. It's been a good thing and I am enjoying it.

    I can't not read. So I am excited for you to start reading again :)

    Great solutions my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking time to visit my page. I absolutely adore hearing from you. Hope to see you again soon!

Yours in Writing,
Isunji